Professional teeth whitening can be a quick and simple way to significantly improve the appearance of your smile. If you’re wondering whether your smile could benefit from teeth whitening, here are some points from our Surrey dentists on how to tell if teeth whitening might be right for you.
A routine cleaning regimen, including brushing and flossing at home and regular professional cleanings at your dentist's office, is the best way for prevention of periodontal disease.
What does a good hygiene routine include?
Daily home cleaning (brushing and flossing) will help control plaque and tartar formation, but those hard to reach areas will always need special attention.
Once your periodontal treatment has been completed, your dentist and dental hygienist will recommend that you have regular maintenance cleanings (periodontal cleanings), usually four times a year.
In addition to your periodontal cleaning and evaluation, your appointment will usually include:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays: Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Examination of tooth decay: Check all tooth surfaces for decay.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, cheek tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Oral hygiene recommendations: Review and recommend oral hygiene aids as needed.
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.